Thursday, October 25, 2007

T'is The Season

Well, that was to be expected. I woke up the other day, lets see Sunday and my husband(who never gets sick)(even though he has had a heart attack) started to tell me how lousy he felt. This proceeded throughout the day of him feeling like a punk with pink cheeks. Not good on a 63 year old man. By Monday he really had a bad case of the runny nose, itchy eyes, congested chest and fever and chills flu. Poor guy, I wanted to take of him but I kept my distance.
By Wednesday at 3:30am I awoke to the stuffy nose but hey I cannot swallow attack. I mean I could not swallow, so I convinced my husband to go to the emergency room. That's right, without insurance. Oh we have AARP as supplement to help with some of the medical cost but he was still sick and I felt like a dog that had just been shaved.
When we got to the emergency room it was empty so we got in and got out. He has a slight case of pneumonia and I have the dreaded viral infection that they can not give me anything for. Rats! On top of that the emergency room doctor did ask me when I had my tonsils out and I said "never" and she said, funny they are gone.
On or way home we stopped at Dunkin Donuts (we deserve it, right?) and after that treat we limped upstairs into bed only to be hit with morning insomnia. Why am I writing this to you? Because I thought about all the other million of you out there with no insurance like me and want to tell you that we have to make choices. It is peace of mind and you can make payments. In fact I love the payment plan.
I am not the hypochondriac that I was when I had health insurance. No sir! It takes me feeling pretty bad to go to the doctor and my husband fights going to a doctor like the fat man fights donuts. If you do not have health insurance you can approach your doctor or hospital and tell
them you do not have coverage. They will bill you at a discounted price. In fact to see my doctor with insurance the walk in office doctor price is $110.00 to sit in the chair and without it is $50.00 What will $50.00 get you? About 12 drinks at Starbucks. So with the flu season looming ahead don't worry, this the season that keeps on giving and giving, hack, sneeze, cough and blow!

No comments: